In the Mabon 2015 episode of our podcast, Reaching for the Moon, Qabal shares the magic of whole wheat bread with us. We’re happy to share the recipe so that you can make your own foodoo at home!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of water
- ½ teaspoon of yeast
This is combined and let to proof at room temperature for 24 hours. Room temperature means 70-72 degrees. If you keep things warmer, you can partially proof at room temperature and then move to fridge overnight.
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- ¼ – ½ cup of wheat germ (depending on your taste)
- 2 cups of whole milk (you can use soy milk if it is not flavored with other thinks like vanilla)
This is combined and kneaded and let sit overnight.
- 2 Tablespoons of instant yeast
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (vegan margarine is the substitution)
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of a thick sweetener (honey, molasses – honey is better but I use Maple Syrup more often than honey or molasses)
- 4 teaspoons of salt (by salt, this means table salt not kosher salt)
Baking temperature reminder is preheat oven to 400F then drop to 350F. Don’t forget the water.
The finished bread will last about three days before it starts to dry. Remember, your bread has no preservatives- so it’s shelf life is shorter.
Check out the process below. Click on any picture to see it larger!
One thought on “Foodoo: Making Whole Wheat Bread”
Thanks for the podcast and the extras on making whole wheat bread!