Welcome to the 28th episode of Reaching for the Moon, the podcast brought to you by the Witches and Pagans of Everglades Moon Local Council. The Wheel continues to turn and we find ourselves at Yule! Yuletide in Florida is definitely different than most other places – we might not be under mountains of snow, but we’ve got our share of snow-birds… both the feathered and two-footed varieties.
LISTEN TO US ON: ITUNES | STITCHER | LIBSYN | ON THIS PAGE
Within our Yule 2016 podcast, you will find:
- Music: “Four Angels” song by Mama Gina, from her album “The Undertaker’s Daughter“.
- FooDoo: with Qabal, where we learn how to Make Skyr!
- Music: “Winter White” song by Aradia, from her album, “Songs for All Seasons”>
- Workshops “Healing Powers of Holly and Mistletoe” with Rayna
- Music: “Land of the Dancing Trees” by Emerald Rose, from their album “Sunwise.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
Skyr is a traditional Islandic milk product. It’s really a cheese, but it’s also got some yogurt characteristics. And it is really delicious! If you’d like to make your own batch of Skyr, here’s your step-by-step FooDoo guide!
- 1/2 gallon Whole Milk
- 7 drops of Rennet and Starter yogurt, or 2 TBSP from a Skyr-like product or yogurt
You’ll also need:
- A Thermometer
- A Strainer (such as a cloth coffee strainer)
- Cheesecloth (if you can’t find a different strainer – you do need a tight weave in your strainer)
- Jars or storage containers
Make sure all your items are sterilized. You also should not use organic mixing items, such as wooden spoons. To make our FooDoo Skyr:
- Take milk and pour into pot heat to 185. Let it sit there for 2 minutes
- Remove from heat, put lid on it, and let it sit until it’s between 110-115 degrees (~ 45 minutes)
- Add 2 TBSP of starter yogurt and 6 drops of rennet
- Cover it and put it in the oven and let it sit 10 hours. DO NOT PEEK!
- After 10 hours check on your skyr. It will either look like a custard or separated of curds and whey. Either is fine
- Pour this through the strainer
- Put this in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator. Let it sit another few hours while the whey drips out of the cheese. It will look like cream cheese when it’s ready to eat!
- Put it in a separate container and it will keep for about 2 weeks. Before you’re done eating it, take a few TBSP of it and use that as your starter for your next batch of Skyr.
Eat it plain with a little bit of honey. It’s delicious!
If you have suggestions or comments, we’d love to hear them! If you’d like to contribute something to our podcast, whether it’s your music, an article, or something else, please leave us a comment below and we’ll get back to you to help make that happen! Please be sure to leave us feedback on iTunes. It’s a great way to help other pagans find us, and makes us feel awesome when we see those 5-Stars!
The lovely music between our segments was supplied by JewelBeat. Download your free music and free sound effects at www.jewelbeat.com.
Blessed be! We are EMLC, and We are CoG!
Listen right at this page using the player below: